Sunday, October 23, 2011

Poetic License

I was given permission by one of the sixth grade students to reprint a prompted poem written as a prerequisite to a project we are working on in Creative Arts entitled

RECIPE FOR YOUR BEST SELF.

I Am...

I am... a creative thinker

I wonder... if there will ever be world peace

I hear... the wind blowing through my ears

I see... the sunrise brightening up the sky

I want to be... a structural or chemical engineer

I am... a writer

I pretend... I can go anywhere in the world

I feel... the water flowing through my fingers

I touch... the smooth surface of a river rock

I worry about... the dangers of global warming if no one realizes that we should fix it

I cry about... the fact that people use others feelings of pain, weakness or loss to rise to power

I am... an imaginer

I understand... that to do you best you have to try even if you fail

I say... that you can do any thing you want if you set your mind to it

I dream... that everyone (especially world leaders) understands that their bad actions will have a consequence

I try... to do the best I can in everything I do

I hope... to be able to succeed at everything I do

I am... an artist