Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Last night, Mrs. Lori Hickernell and I attended the Arizona Curriculum Theatre's production of Poe 2010. Two actors performed three of Edgar Allan Poe's story-poems: Annabel Lee, The Cask of Amontillado, and The Raven. While I can't say I "loved" the show, I did very much enjoy going to see a live, edgy theatre piece in a small store-front theatre space. Having lived in the greater Phoenix area for just over two years, I haven't seen as much theatre as I would like to, and haven't yet had the opportunity to explore the smaller theatres.

While it seems like the ACT produces some edgier pieces in its own theatre space, the company also produces works that are more educationally-oriented, as is their mission:

ACT, Inc. is a non-profit traveling performance troupe bringing classical literature, arts, history, sciences, and mathematics to life in classrooms and libraries across the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.

Attending live theatre can truly be an exciting, uplifting, and inspiring experience. While the production one attends is "good," "bad," or somewhere in between is, obviously - oft times - a matter of taste and opinion, there is always something special and magical about the exchange between the actors and a "live" audience that is so different than witnessing a film, where celluloid and time build a wall between the screen actors and their spectators.

I have added the Arizona Curriculum Theatre (ACT) website link to the list below, should you have interest in checking out the company's website and/or one of their shows.

By the way: I purchased the tickets to Poe through one of the Groupon mailers I received in my email. If you aren't signed up for Groupon already, there are some really good deals on there for all kinds of things - but I have found especially good deals when it comes to entertainment.

Cheers,

Ms. Nicky Pitman